My Truths #172 (mood)
I’m in a good mood today because the sun is shinning! I started this post by trying to give my definition of “mood” but had a hard time coming up with the right words. According to Wikipedia:
“A mood is an emotional state. Moods differ from emotions in that they are less specific, less intense, and less likely to be triggered by a particular stimulus or event. Moods generally have either a positive or negative valence. In other words, people typically speak of being in a good mood or a bad mood.”
I’m not particularly sold on their definition because the sun (i.e. a particular stimulus) can take a huge amount of credit for my good mood today. That being said there are many other underlying factors that I realize are also playing a role:
- I slept well…being tired is a real downer.
- I ate a delicious breakfast… no hunger.
- I ate a healthy breakfast…no guilt (sad!…but if I eat crap i feel like crap physically and emotionally).
- Hormones… mine are not raging today.
- My kids didn’t “test” me…morning routine went smoothly.
- I’m having lunch with my husband…something to look forward to.
- I’m caught up with my work… I’m in proactive versus reactive mode.
All of these things combined are having an impact on my mood today but the proverbial “icing on the cake” is that the sun is shining and I get to ride my bike!